Glenn Beck and his conservative media company, the Blaze, filed a countersuit in a Texas court on Monday against suspended employee Tomi Lahren, who sued her boss earlier this month for wrongful termination.
Beck asked for a temporary restraining order and temporary injunction against Lahren, who had also requested a temporary restraining order from her employer, according to Dallas County District Court documents.
Lahren had claimed she was terminated by the Tea Party-aligned company, but Beck said her contract is active through September despite her show's suspension.
"In reality, her employment agreement with the Blaze remains in full force and effect, she continues to be employed (and paid) by the Blaze, and she has access to her social media accounts, as well as a Facebook page the Blaze created and maintains," the counterclaim stated.
The 35-page document is the first statement Beck and his company have issued since the former anchor alleged she was terminated because of her pro-choice stance, which conflicts with Beck's pro-life view.
Beck states that Lahren's show was taken off the air because she mistreated coworkers and made public appearances without attaining prior approval from management. Lahren was said to have been "inappropriate and unprofessional" with her show's floor crew.
The 24-year-old first came under the spotlight in late March, when she told hosts of ABC morning show "The View" that she did not believe being conservative and being pro-life could go hand-in-hand.
"I can't sit here and be a hypocrite and say I'm for limited government but I think the government should decide what women do with their bodies," Lahren said.
Her comments caused a firestorm with her conservative viewers. Lahren's suit maintained that Beck knew about her position on the issue, and she insisted that a producer who had accompanied her to the interview praised her for making the comments afterward.
Another anchor at the Blaze, Amy Holmes, went on MSNBC in September 2015 and admitted she was pro-choice but never received the backlash Lahren claims to be enduring.
"It is puzzling that an employee who remains under contract (and is still being paid) has sued us for being fired, especially when we continue to comply fully with the terms of our agreement with her," the Blaze said in a statement to the Washington Examiner.
It's unclear when problems between Beck and Lahren escalated. Her show was initially suspended one week, but new details outlined in her lawsuit say her bosses told her to "go dark" on social media, where she has 4.2 million followers on Facebook.
Lahren was "understandably disappointed, saddened and in shock for being suspended for freely expressing her opinions, which certainly reconcile with what is the law of the land in the United States i.e., a woman's constitutional right to choose and in so way inconsistent with any of [Lahren's] obligations under the Employment Contract," the suit stated.
Lahren said the sudden publicity of the matter was done to "inflate Beck's profile, from what has become a mediocre following, all at [Lahren's expense."